I can't belive it's been almost a month!

I feel as though I have fallen behind. Considerably! I can't believe my last post was in the beginning of August. That means it's been almost a month since I have quilted anything! How terrible! Well I have a pretty good excuse, but that doesn't make it any easier. I miss quilting! But I'll get to that.

First a story of Machine Applique


Our shop starting selling these awesome little packets of "Seasonal Silhouettes" by Edyta Sitar. The packages included enough laser cut applique pieces to make a single block. Each block features an adorable like ice skates, or a bicycle and lilies, or a umbrella with iris's and daffodils. I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them but put off starting one because the packages cost a heck of a lot. The cost is definitely worth not having to cut out all those tiny pieces though.

Anyways, I finally decided to make one for the shop to test out fusible applique as I have never tried it before. I was excited.

Well, I started to lay out all the pieces and realized that the packet didn't come with a set of instructions... I was supposed to purchase the book... Oh well, I figured I could use the TINY picture on the label. My eyes are still strained from staring at that 1" x 1" picture. So once I got all my pieces laid out I started to iron them down. Most of the pieces fused well enough but there were a few that just did not want to stick. A few pins later I was ready to sew.

Here's where I made the big mistake. I started with the curviest, most awkward flower on the dang block. That little pink bugger right down there. I finished my first flower, decided it looked horrible, and figured that I should probably finish what I started.

 
After a few hours of straining, and cursing and exasperation, I had a finished block and a promise in my heart that I would NEVER again try fusible applique. The next day I pieced on the borders and quilted and bound it so that it was ready to display in the shop.

Then next time I went into work and say it I thought "Hey, that doesn't look that bad. Maybe I was over reacting..." It's safe to say if I try it again at least I will b more prepared.

- - - - -

A little while after finishing up my frustrating fusible project I picked up my very first customer quilt! One of my coworkers asked if I would quilt her daughters first quilt. How could I possibly turn that down? I picked it up and grabbed a few colors of thread and headed to my machine. Things went really well until I got to the very last side of the outer border and then guess what happens?!

You'll never guess!


Ok, maybe you will...

My machine breaks! It freezes up and I have no idea how to fix it! I can't tell you how infuriating it was, though I'm sure most of you have experienced the feeling in one way or another. I felt lost. To top it all off my husband and I are in the process of moving from the Midwest to the great ol' PNW and I didn't have a chance to get it repaired before the movers came and whisked it away. I'm still stuck in ND for a few more weeks while I finish up my first 8 weeks of student teaching in an elementary schoo1 so it will be a while before I get my trusty machine in working order. I might be able to sweet talk my husband who is already out in Seattle to get it fixed for me before I get there. That would be nice. Until then I'm not completely without an creative outlet. I kept my old Kenmore, and was luckily able to finish up my customer quilt a little while ago on that.


So basically to conclude my rant, it has been a busy few weeks. I tried to quilt again tonight using some variegated thread and my machine flat out refused to work with me. Ugh. I hope to maybe get some other thread in the near future and try again. I don't think I can last another 8 weeks without quilting, especially with the show coming up. Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Awaited Swoopy Geese Tutorial: Part 2! The One About Paper Piecing!

How to Make Your Own New York Beauty Templates!

That's One Way To Do It: Hawaiian Applique Tutorial - Part Two: The Prep