My Very Own Exploding Tardis!

        Not going to lie, I completely fell in love with the painting as soon it appeared on the screen in the 12th episode on the 5th season of the new Doctor Who. I've thought about buying all sorts of paraphernalia with its image: posters, shirts, shoes, even leggings... Ok maybe not the leggings... but I have fawned over the image for a while now. Since I first saw the episode I have even on occasion thought that it might be fun to try painting, not that I have ever used oil paints before, but there is a first time for everything.

        One day, while at work in North Dakota my eyes fell across a wonderful blue batik and I thought to myself, that is the exact color of the Tardis! And so I set about gathering the perfect colors for my very own fabric Exploding Tardis, and promptly put them back thinking "I will never get around to this!" Eventually, after a year of thinking, I was finally hit with the sudden inspiration to just do it. So I did.


        I started by drawing the rough shape of the Tardis fragments. I then build the foundation of the spirals. From there I added layers of "flames" to fill out the spirals and make it look a bit more like an explosion. I still have to add a few flying fragments and maybe a few more flames which I hope to get to tomorrow so I can start quilting! I am pretty happy with how it is turning out although, now that I am almost done, I can think of a better sequence of construction.

        Instead of using any one of the numerous applique methods out there I decided to cut out my shapes and simply glue them onto the fabric using a regular washable glue stick. Once I have completed that process I intend to thread paint my collage down. I haven't decided if I want to use any sort of dissoluble stabilizer or tulle to keep everything stationary as I work. I also haven't decided if I want to do this on a domestic machine or on the longarm. So many decisions!


        It's a bit brighter than the original but I think that suites my personality, hah! I can't wait to start thread painting! Until then, Happy Crafting!

EDIT!!!

        I received a few questions about the pattern to make this project, mainly: do I have one? The answer is... I do now!... Sort of! I am posting a roughly to scale drawing of the over all piece (that can be enlarged by 400% I believe) to use as a pattern as well as drawn templates for the main Tardis chunks.

Here is the pattern (if you can really call it that)!

Fabric Requirements:

3/4 yd of dark blue background
1/8 yd of 4 shades of blue for Tardis/highlights
1/8 yd of 6 shades of yellow/gold/brown for flames

It doesn't really matter how many colors you choose to use as long as there is variation. I purchased more than 1/3 yd of several of them but ended up having a lot left over so I would say 1/8th should be plenty. You can also add variation by including scraps from your stash.

Photo: Decided it was finally time to start my #explodingtardis quilt. I've been thinking about it for a while now and found a burst of inspiration after meeting Freddy Moran and learning about collage quilting.

        I am also including a photo (of embarrassingly poor quality, haha) from the beginning phase of construction that shows how I shaped the flaming spirals a little more clearly.

        Hope this helps for anyone that's interested! Have fun! And don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Awaited Swoopy Geese Tutorial: Part 2! The One About Paper Piecing!

How to Make Your Own New York Beauty Templates!

That's One Way To Do It: Hawaiian Applique Tutorial - Part Two: The Prep