Bringing Bustle Back

        I will not deny that I have been remiss in both my blogging and my sewing duties since I started my job in September. I honestly thought I would have more time, or better yet more energy to climb the stairs to my sewing room and get some crafting done. More often then not however I didn't make it past the couch when I returned home from work. Even weekends seemed to fly by without a thought of sewing... I am sew ashamed!

        Well, yesterday I broke the cycle. Last month I fell in love with a skirt on display at Calico Threads. It was so poofy and bright that I knew I had to have it in my closet. Only problem: the pattern is designed to fit a child... and I am obviously not a child... Hmmm... So after much thought, I decided to forgo attempting to recreate this adorable skirt and promptly forgot about it. This weekend however, after teaching one of my beginning free motion quilting classes at Calico Threads, I rediscovered the skirt in question and figured "Why not?!" I flipped through the pattern then set about deciding on fabrics. Much debate was had. In the end I opted for the original coloring, I can always make another if I want to... which I may rather soon... with a few alterations. I purchased my fabric and set off to my sew-micile (get it? Sewing domicile? hah!).

Look at how freakin' cute that is!!! Pattern is by Izzy and Ivy Designs.
        The pattern required roughly 4 yards of fabric for the largest 3 sizes. Looking at the yardage alone I don't know how this skirt couldn't fit me. Because the skirt is gathered the pieces were all rectangular I didn't need to wrestle with the provided pattern paper. YAY! I hate pattern paper. Especially trying to fold it all back up. It's a nightmare. I cut out my pieces and decided that it was finally time to try using my serger. If I am going to make a ridiculously poofy and ruffled skirt I might as well do it right.

        Oh serger! Where have you been all my life?!?! Oh that's right, in the closet... I can't believe I waited until this far along in my sewing journey to really learn how to use it. Sergers are amazing.


        I spent all afternoon serging and ruffling and rolled heming. Lots of rolled hemming and ended up with something that looks like this:




        I am pleased.



        Ok, ok, I am really excited to wear this. I think the reason I love it so much is because it is like a ruffly bustle and bustles are awesome.

Bustles are neat!
        I feel like my summer is off to running start, and I am not even out of school yet! A few more weeks and I will be free to pursue all of the sewing I could possibly imagine. I think I may have to make another one at some point with only a few minor alterations. Turns out a child's size 14 is too large for me. I needed to shorten the elastic by about 2 inches this morning, but I am still very pleased. I might even make my next one... shorter (SCANDALOUS!) 

Until next time, happy crafting!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Awaited Swoopy Geese Tutorial: Part 2! The One About Paper Piecing!

How to Make Your Own New York Beauty Templates!

That's One Way To Do It: Hawaiian Applique Tutorial - Part Two: The Prep