Creative Overload

        It's hard to believe that it has been nearly a month since the last day of school. I am almost scared by how fast the days pass by, but as they say, "time flies when you are having fun" and I have been having a lot of fun. I have filled my days with creating of all sorts: sewing, quilting, embroidery and most recently watercolor painting. On my birthday, while wondering around West Seattle wasting a little time, Nate and I stopped into an art supply shop. I am like a kid in a candy store when it comes to any art supplies, fabric, paints, beads, you name it. I have an especially strong fondness for pens. I LOVE pens! Fine point, ball point, felt tip, calligraphy, I love them all. On this trip I was enticed by a certain pen in particular: a water pen. I had read about the Koi watercolor brush pens by Sukura and was on the hunt but having no luck. Feeling a bit let down I wandered to the painting section and what do I find? A Koi watercolor "pocket field sketchbook" with a water pen. How cool is that?!?! It's brush that has water in it! This may be old news to some of you but I was enthralled. I have been playing with it all week. I even up loaded a few designs to Spoonflower. I can't wait to see how they print. Spoonflower is such a wonderful idea!

        I was even inspired to pick up some other brushes for watercolor. And by pick up I mean spend way to much money on. I have an addiction, and addiction to art supplies... but more on that later.

        Among my other endeavors recently I found myself once again pursuing garment construction and, on the fourth of July, haberdashery!... Haberdashing?... Haberdashering?... Hat making! That's right! I celebrated my freedom by making a variety of hats. I found a quick tutorial on Creativebug and had to try it. Only problem is that the pattern printed out too small. I had to attempt to blow the pieces up but had no idea what the correct proportions were supposed to be. After several hours and one hat that was way too small I ended up a nice that that was only a little too small. It sort of fits.



        After dinner I felt revitalized to make a second attempt. Truth be told I ended up cheating a bit. I slightly dismantled my original hat and altered it so that it could fit around my hair when it is in a bun. I always want to wear hats but never want to take my hair done. And now I don't have to! I worked perfectly!!! I wore it out yesterday and it fit very well. Both hats are fully lined and reversible. 

  
        All in all I have come away this week with a well improved wardrobe. I can't wait to wear my second new pencil skirt. Who doesn't love polka dots!?!
       

             Until next time!

Comments

  1. Emily you are so talented. I love the hats. I can't wait to see what you create once you get your longarm.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Awaited Swoopy Geese Tutorial: Part 2! The One About Paper Piecing!

How to Make Your Own New York Beauty Templates!

That's One Way To Do It: Hawaiian Applique Tutorial - Part Two: The Prep